MISSIONS AND OUTREACH
Matthew 28:19 – “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”
Missions and Outreach at Resurrection are a biblical responsibility which we address through a hands on approach. From our Sunday Greeters who welcome everyone into the church for the service to coffee hour after the service and then continuing out into our community.
CORE (Church Of Resurrection Essentials) is responsible for things such as planning events and providing hospitality for the congregation and seeking out missions within the community. The committee meets once a month.
On a weekly basis, the committee has ensured that a particular group or individual hosts coffee hour and that our Wednesday night fellowship dinners are prepared and served.
The Missions of Resurrection.
- On a weekly basis, we collect food for the food pantry and other goods requested by organizations such as Love INC.
- We support the Christian Motorcyclists Association’s “Run for the Son”
- On Father’s Day we sponsored a representative from Food for the Poor and donations were accepted.
- For Thanksgiving, we teamed with United Methodist Church and collected 25 dinners to add to their Thanksgiving meal distribution.
- In support of World Vision, our parish currently sponsor’s 20 children.
- Our annual backpack drive was paired with the Youth Group’s first summer barbeque for Special Needs Parenting Program from Dutchess County Agency for the Prevention of Child Abuse.
- Our Youth Group hosted the annual St. Nicholas brunch for the Special Needs Parenting Program from Dutchess County. A comment from a guest, “This is better than we could get at any restaurant”, is a great testament to the efforts put forth by our Youth Group and sponsors.
- Our annual Harvest Festival was held in the fall. At this event an entire SUV was packed with food donations for the pantry at Zion Church.
- Our members participate in the “Crop Walk” in Poughkeepsie raising money for World Hunger.
Activities for the congregation (2014)
- In February the parish paired Super Bowl with our friendly Chili Cook-off competition. Cupcake grams were also prepared and distributed to Valentine’s Day sweeties.
- With the help of the men of the parish, we ate pancakes together for Shrove Tuesday in March. Additionally, we enjoyed corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick’s Day.
- Easter fell in April and we had a wonderful Brunch between our sunrise and Easter morning service.
- The men of the parish helped to make a wonderful Mother’s Day brunch in May.
- June brought the Father’s Day picnic and we celebrated the Sunday school year.
- In July, parish members met at the East Fishkill Recreation Facility to enjoy a free concert by the Hot Rod Band.
- We had a grand time at the pig roast in August and were thrilled to have the Steel Passion drum band back. Again, many guests from outside the parish joined in the fun. Taking advantage of another of August’s hot summer nights, we enjoyed an outdoor movie night on the church grounds.
- September brought Resurrection’s presence at community day. The theme revolved around our World Vision Sponsorship from which games for the children were created. Our annual tag sale was a great success thanks to the help of many volunteers.
- In October, the vestry, as a fundraising effort, again held a dinner dance at Daddy O’s. What a wonderful fun event this was.
- Our first wine tasting was held in November. The vestry, in their fundraising efforts, again outdid themselves. Fine wines were paired with complimentary foods. Bottles and cases of wine were ordered and delivered in time for Thanksgiving dinner.
- In December we gathered in the undercroft on the first Sunday in Advent to make our annual Advent wreaths. Before Christmas the congregation joined in the greening of the church.